Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

procmail + change subject, w2ksp4.exe download, /proc/kallsyms format, sqldatasource dal, wwwxxxenden, convert raid5 to raid 10 mdadm, apache force chunked, nrao wwwxxx, xxxxxdup, procmail change subject header

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: Recipe Database

Posted on 2005-04-13 16:55:19 by Bob

It's been quite a while since I've built an Access database, but I suppose
it's like riding a bicycle and it will all come back to me. But I'm not
sure Access is the proper tool for what I want to do.

We finally went through many years of cooking magazines and newspapers and
clipped out recipes that we might potentially want to use at some point
(there are a few hundred). Now I want to index them. I don't want to put
the recipes themselves into a database; I will keep them in hardcopy in a
yet to be determined number of folders.
But I want to go to the database and find recipes by type (meatloaf versus
chocolate cake, or maybe barbequed beef ribs versus pork ribs, haven't
decided all the keys yet).

Is this a good use of Access? Or is it overkill? Maybe I could do the same
thing with Excel. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Report this message

#2: Re: Recipe Database

Posted on 2005-04-13 17:33:26 by fredg

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:55:19 GMT, Bob wrote:

> It's been quite a while since I've built an Access database, but I suppose
> it's like riding a bicycle and it will all come back to me. But I'm not
> sure Access is the proper tool for what I want to do.
>
> We finally went through many years of cooking magazines and newspapers and
> clipped out recipes that we might potentially want to use at some point
> (there are a few hundred). Now I want to index them. I don't want to put
> the recipes themselves into a database; I will keep them in hardcopy in a
> yet to be determined number of folders.
> But I want to go to the database and find recipes by type (meatloaf versus
> chocolate cake, or maybe barbequed beef ribs versus pork ribs, haven't
> decided all the keys yet).
>
> Is this a good use of Access? Or is it overkill? Maybe I could do the same
> thing with Excel. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

You can download a Recipe database from Microsoft and adapt as much of
it as you want.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010186351033.a spx
--
Fred
Please only reply to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal email.

Report this message

#3: Re: Recipe Database

Posted on 2005-04-13 17:43:43 by Bob

"fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
news:1f6li2yodfv56.qiligtw4d4pn.dlg@40tude.net...

> You can download a Recipe database from Microsoft and adapt as much of
> it as you want.
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010186351033.a spx
> --
> Fred
> Please only reply to this newsgroup.
> I do not reply to personal email.

Thanks for the suggestion, though this template is for Access 2000 and I
have Office 97 (I said it had been a while). So I guess the template won't
work for me.

Report this message

#4: Re: Recipe Database

Posted on 2005-04-13 18:40:59 by Alan Webb

Bob,
Give me a couple hours. I am in the middle of something else. I have
Access 97 and 2000 so I can run the conversion for you. It'll be at
http://home.comcast.net/~knogeek/downloads after 5pm or so EDT.
--
Alan Webb
knoNOgeek@SPAMhotmail.com
"It's not IT, it's IS"

"Bob" <boboaks@nospampacbell.net> wrote in message
news:P6b7e.1197$J12.830@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
> news:1f6li2yodfv56.qiligtw4d4pn.dlg@40tude.net...
>
>> You can download a Recipe database from Microsoft and adapt as much of
>> it as you want.
>>
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010186351033.a spx
>> --
>> Fred
>> Please only reply to this newsgroup.
>> I do not reply to personal email.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, though this template is for Access 2000 and I
> have Office 97 (I said it had been a while). So I guess the template
> won't work for me.
>

Report this message

#5: Re: Recipe Database

Posted on 2005-04-13 19:13:20 by tom

What I think you are asking for is a searchable filing system, not so
much a recipe database with ingredients and instructions. Something
more akin to a movie or music collection database. You might look at
one of those for inspiration.

As to Access or Excel - if you want to do complex queries (e.g., give
me all the meatless appetizers of Greek origin), then I think Access is
the tool. Excel will work, but will be messy.

That said, do you have the time and inclination to reaquaint yourself
with Access? If not, then a messy Excel spreadsheet is better than a
superior in concept, but unbuilt, Access database.

Good luck!

Report this message

#6: Re: Recipe Database

Posted on 2005-04-14 01:36:00 by Alan Webb

Bob,
Ok, I did the conversion to Access 97. The URL is what I said it is in my
other post.

--
Alan Webb
knoNOgeek@SPAMhotmail.com
"It's not IT, it's IS
"Bob" <boboaks@nospampacbell.net> wrote in message
news:P6b7e.1197$J12.830@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "fredg" <fgutkind@example.invalid> wrote in message
> news:1f6li2yodfv56.qiligtw4d4pn.dlg@40tude.net...
>
>> You can download a Recipe database from Microsoft and adapt as much of
>> it as you want.
>>
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010186351033.a spx
>> --
>> Fred
>> Please only reply to this newsgroup.
>> I do not reply to personal email.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, though this template is for Access 2000 and I
> have Office 97 (I said it had been a while). So I guess the template
> won't work for me.
>

Report this message

#7: Re: Recipe Database

Posted on 2005-04-18 00:50:54 by Alan Webb

Bob & anyone else.
If you need this database in Access 97 I did the conversion and put it on my
blog. http://home.comcast.net/~knogeek/downloads.htm. No, not advertising,
I don't want money or anything. Just closing the loop on a promised bit of
work.
--
Alan Webb
knoNOgeek@SPAMhotmail.com
"It's not IT, it's IS"

"Bob" <boboaks@nospampacbell.net> wrote in message
news:rpa7e.1189$J12.163@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> It's been quite a while since I've built an Access database, but I suppose
> it's like riding a bicycle and it will all come back to me. But I'm not
> sure Access is the proper tool for what I want to do.
>
> We finally went through many years of cooking magazines and newspapers and
> clipped out recipes that we might potentially want to use at some point
> (there are a few hundred). Now I want to index them. I don't want to put
> the recipes themselves into a database; I will keep them in hardcopy in a
> yet to be determined number of folders.
> But I want to go to the database and find recipes by type (meatloaf versus
> chocolate cake, or maybe barbequed beef ribs versus pork ribs, haven't
> decided all the keys yet).
>
> Is this a good use of Access? Or is it overkill? Maybe I could do the
> same thing with Excel. Any thoughts or similar experiences?
>

Report this message