Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

Amlark.het, ncurses font change, www.xxx, rolan@hotmail.com, WwwXXX, fork a shell ksh, Policy reject, 550 5.7.1, cygwin ftol, 192.168.1.41:8000, Wwwxxxxcon

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: Help with SQL "INSERT INTO " syntax

Posted on 2007-06-20 22:12:03 by ewpatton

Good day,


I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
say the least.

My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:

INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
'0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')

This structure comes from http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp

Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
'syntax' error is?

Evan

Report this message

#2: Re: Help with SQL "INSERT INTO " syntax

Posted on 2007-06-20 22:27:32 by SRLoka

Try
INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
'0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661',@ 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')

Notice the @ sign. "\" is an escape character. You have to use 2 '\'s if you
dont use the @ sign.

HTH

<ewpatton@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1182370323.852291.236010@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Good day,
>
>
> I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
> handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
> database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
> say the least.
>
> My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
> order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:
>
> INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
> '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
>
> This structure comes from http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
>
> Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
> syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
> 'syntax' error is?
>
> Evan
>

Report this message

#3: Re: Help with SQL "INSERT INTO " syntax

Posted on 2007-06-21 05:58:38 by ewpatton

I was using Visual Basic, and did not believe that to be the problem.
I tried anyway, used the @ symbol. That didn't work, so I tried using
'\\' instead. Finally, I removed the last field altogether and had
just:

INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password) VALUES ('a',
'0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661')

and the query still failed.

I'm totally lost now.

Evan

On Jun 20, 4:27 pm, "Srini" <ls_re...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Try
> INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
> '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661',@ 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
>
> Notice the @ sign. "\" is an escape character. You have to use 2 '\'s if you
> dont use the @ sign.
>
> HTH
>
> <ewpat...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1182370323.852291.236010@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Good day,
>
> > I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
> > handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
> > database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
> > say the least.
>
> > My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
> > order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:
>
> > INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
> > '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
>
> > This structure comes fromhttp://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
>
> > Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
> > syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
> > 'syntax' error is?
>
> > Evan

Report this message

#4: Re: Help with SQL "INSERT INTO " syntax

Posted on 2007-06-21 10:03:26 by Hans Kesting

> Good day,
>
> I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
> handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
> database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
> say the least.
>
> My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
> order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:
>
> INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
> '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
>
> This structure comes from http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
>
> Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
> syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
> 'syntax' error is?
>
> Evan
>

How are you executing this? C# or VB don't know anything about SQL commands.
You will have to use some sort of SqlCommand to send this sql-statement
to the database.

If this is not the problem, show some more code about how you are trying
to use it.

Hans Kesting

Report this message

#5: Re: Help with SQL "INSERT INTO " syntax

Posted on 2007-06-22 21:45:02 by Larry Bud

On Jun 20, 4:12 pm, ewpat...@gmail.com wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
> handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
> database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
> say the least.
>
> My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
> order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:
>
> INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
> '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
>
> This structure comes fromhttp://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
>
> Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
> syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
> 'syntax' error is?

A few things. First, are you building the insert string? If so, are
you positive it's building the way you think it is?

Always try the sql statement in query analyzer to see if your SQL
statement is valid, or if you're building a poor SQL statement.

Report this message

#6: Re: Help with SQL "INSERT INTO " syntax

Posted on 2007-06-23 00:52:14 by Poldie

On Jun 21, 4:58 am, ewpat...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was using Visual Basic, and did not believe that to be the problem.
> I tried anyway, used the @ symbol. That didn't work, so I tried using
> '\\' instead. Finally, I removed the last field altogether and had
> just:
>
> INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password) VALUES ('a',
> '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661')
>
> and the query still failed.
>
> I'm totally lost now.

What error are you getting? Have you tried putting username and/or
password into [square brackets] in case they are reserved words? Is
the username field large enough for the size of the data you're trying
to put into it? Is there any validation on the database which is
rejecting your data for violating constraints, primary key etc?

Report this message

#7: Re: Help with SQL "INSERT INTO " syntax

Posted on 2007-06-25 12:18:36 by Kevin Spencer

It looks to me like it may be a data type exception, if the second column is
of SQL type uniqueidentifier, which is the same thing as a guid. The format
looks similar to the uniqueidentifier binary format, which would not have
single quotes around it. A uniqueidentifier value in a query should only
have single quotes around it when it is in the string format
'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx'.


--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
FTP Client Classes, Enhanced Data Controls, much more.
DSI PrintManager, Miradyne Component Libraries:
http://www.miradyne.net

"Larry Bud" <larrybud2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1182541502.244895.127370@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com.. .
> On Jun 20, 4:12 pm, ewpat...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> I've been trying to work with SQL and an Access database in order to
>> handle custom user profiles. I haven't had any trouble reading from my
>> database, but inserting new entries into it has been troublesome to
>> say the least.
>>
>> My ASP.NET script is supposed to execute an INSERT INTO statement in
>> order to add a user to the database. Here is a sample:
>>
>> INSERT INTO LoginInfo (username, password, datafile) VALUES ('a',
>> '0cc175b9c0f1b6a831c399e269772661', 'H:\CommConn\userdata\a.xml')
>>
>> This structure comes fromhttp://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
>>
>> Everything seems valid, but ASP still throws an error stating that the
>> syntax of the statement is invalid. Could someone point out where the
>> 'syntax' error is?
>
> A few things. First, are you building the insert string? If so, are
> you positive it's building the way you think it is?
>
> Always try the sql statement in query analyzer to see if your SQL
> statement is valid, or if you're building a poor SQL statement.
>

Report this message