Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

/proc/kallsyms format, sqldatasource dal, wwwxxxenden, convert raid5 to raid 10 mdadm, apache force chunked, nrao wwwxxx, xxxxxdup, procmail change subject header, wwwXxx not20, Wwwxxx.doks sas

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-15 01:17:05 by miwebster

I'm using ASP classic and Ado to pull data from SQL Server 2000.

I have a recordset with about 6500 rows, but quite a few (35-40)
columns of mostly text data, that I'm trying to display on a page.
I'm filtering the data with drop downs on entry to reduce the amount
of records shown. and it works fine. But my boss wants to be able to
see every record (without paging, I can't talk him out of it). When I
remove the filter (actually when the record size gets to about 4500
records), I lose all the formatting on the page and it just spits out
the data. My buttons and filters on the top of the page are just
gone, and it just fills the page with raw data. It still seems to
loop through the recordset okay, and does display all the data, but
not in a legible fashion.
I've looked to increase the MaxRows value of the recordset, but that
doesn't seem to help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Report this message

#2: Re: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-15 11:38:18 by exjxw.hannivoort

wrote on 15 jan 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db:

> I'm using ASP classic and Ado to pull data from SQL Server 2000.
>
> I have a recordset with about 6500 rows, but quite a few (35-40)
> columns of mostly text data, that I'm trying to display on a page.
> I'm filtering the data with drop downs on entry to reduce the amount
> of records shown. and it works fine. But my boss wants to be able to
> see every record (without paging, I can't talk him out of it). When I
> remove the filter (actually when the record size gets to about 4500
> records), I lose all the formatting on the page and it just spits out
> the data. My buttons and filters on the top of the page are just
> gone, and it just fills the page with raw data. It still seems to
> loop through the recordset okay, and does display all the data, but
> not in a legible fashion.
> I've looked to increase the MaxRows value of the recordset, but that
> doesn't seem to help.

Look at the view source of the html in the browser.

By seeing this rendered html you can see
if you made an serverside asp coding mistake,
or if the browser cannot cope with such large amount of data.
Did you test both IE7 and FF2?

BTW: Why do you use a recordset?
If it is a straight forward showing of a database with an sql,
the mData.MoveNext command will suffice.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

Report this message

#3: Re: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-15 12:45:29 by reb01501

Evertjan. wrote:
> BTW: Why do you use a recordset?
> If it is a straight forward showing of a database with an sql,
> the mData.MoveNext command will suffice.

This puzzled me. MoveNext is a recordset method. What kind of object is
mData?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"

Report this message

#4: Re: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-15 18:33:51 by exjxw.hannivoort

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote on 15 jan 2008 in
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db:

> Evertjan. wrote:
>> BTW: Why do you use a recordset?
>> If it is a straight forward showing of a database with an sql,
>> the mData.MoveNext command will suffice.
>
> This puzzled me. MoveNext is a recordset method.

Oh terminology. I mean you could get the data one record at a time
from an sql execute, you would not call that a record set, I hope?

> What kind of object is mData?

Just mu favoured name in:

set mData = CONNECT.Execute(SQL)

[don't ak why COMMECT]

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

Report this message

#5: Re: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-15 19:00:25 by reb01501

Evertjan. wrote:
> Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote on 15 jan 2008 in
> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db:
>
>> Evertjan. wrote:
>>> BTW: Why do you use a recordset?
>>> If it is a straight forward showing of a database with an sql,
>>> the mData.MoveNext command will suffice.
>>
>> This puzzled me. MoveNext is a recordset method.
>
> Oh terminology. I mean you could get the data one record at a time
> from an sql execute, you would not call that a record set, I hope?

A set can consist of a single element, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't
call the object returned from the execute method a "recordset"?
I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just trying to understand your point.
How is retrieving a single record relevant to the OP's problem? Or are
you just stating an example to help illustrate the point you were
making?
>
>> What kind of object is mData?
>
> Just mu favoured name in:
>
> set mData = CONNECT.Execute(SQL)
>

Since the ADODB Execute method returns an ADODB Recordset object, and in
this case assigns it to the mData variable, ISTM you are using a
recordset object n'est-ce pas?

Unfortunately, the OP did not provide enough information to enable us to
help him beyond this speculation. 6500 records of the size he describes
does seem to be an awful lot to be dumping onto a single page. I don't
understand the restriction against paging, but then again, I doubt the
boss understands the ramifications of his requirements.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. The email account listed in my From
header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

Report this message

#6: Re: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-15 23:07:36 by exjxw.hannivoort

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote on 15 jan 2008 in
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db:

>> Oh terminology. I mean you could get the data one record at a time
>> from an sql execute, you would not call that a record set, I hope?
>
> A set can consist of a single element, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't
> call the object returned from the execute method a "recordset"?
> I'm not trying to argue here, I'm just trying to understand your point.
> How is retrieving a single record relevant to the OP's problem? Or are
> you just stating an example to help illustrate the point you were
> making?

I was commenting on my lack of terminology in db programming,
not your expertise, Bob.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

Report this message

#7: Re: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-16 18:42:58 by Sylvain Lafontaine

Maybe your page is simply to big for IE. Did you take a look at the at the
HTML source to see if it was right or not?

Another possibility is that there is some kind of HTML makeup error on the
page and IE stop counting them after some point; with the side effect that
it stop trying rendering the page.

One way to easy test for this would be to take the code source of the page
with 4000 records and then copy and paste the relevant stuff in order to
double the number of rows. Save the page and try to open in IE.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC
E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)


<miwebster@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1be6e9cd-a7d2-4d48-bc52-5d5ede22318a@s19g2000prg.google groups.com...
> I'm using ASP classic and Ado to pull data from SQL Server 2000.
>
> I have a recordset with about 6500 rows, but quite a few (35-40)
> columns of mostly text data, that I'm trying to display on a page.
> I'm filtering the data with drop downs on entry to reduce the amount
> of records shown. and it works fine. But my boss wants to be able to
> see every record (without paging, I can't talk him out of it). When I
> remove the filter (actually when the record size gets to about 4500
> records), I lose all the formatting on the page and it just spits out
> the data. My buttons and filters on the top of the page are just
> gone, and it just fills the page with raw data. It still seems to
> loop through the recordset okay, and does display all the data, but
> not in a legible fashion.
> I've looked to increase the MaxRows value of the recordset, but that
> doesn't seem to help.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Report this message

#8: Re: ASP page losing formatting with large ADO recordset

Posted on 2008-01-19 08:29:56 by PW

I had a similar problem a while back.

Try putting "response.Flush" in the loop where you collect your record set,
after the movenext statement.

Similar to how I do it in this loop ...

Do While Not rs1.EOF
myOption = rs1("ESCI") & " | " & rs1("ESCN")
response.write myOption
response.write "<br>"
rs1.MoveNext
response.Flush <------ example
Loop



HTH,
PW

Report this message