Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

www.webdp.net, Event 9 IIS log failed to write entry, wwwxxx jeffs, Catastrophic failure Unexpected method call sequence. 0x8000ffff (-2147418113)., ksh lock a file, [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_DBC failed, sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unterminated address regex, procmail + change subject, w2ksp4.exe download, /proc/kallsyms format

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: Is it possible to split a UL list into two columns?

Posted on 2008-04-10 21:58:48 by cristian

Hi!,
Is it possible to split LI elements from a single UL list, into two
columns?

This is my current Ul list:
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8278/ulsinglecolumnjl5.pn g

And I want to look like this:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4497/ultwocolumngx6.png

I know I can make this happen using two UL lists, floating them to the
same side, but I want to know if this can be done using a single list.

Thank you very much,

Cristian

Report this message

#2: Re: Is it possible to split a UL list into two columns?

Posted on 2008-04-11 01:14:38 by dorayme

In article
<d0d9bdaa-f2ea-40a4-ba39-2e15fbee9e86@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>,
Cristian <crisjunc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!,
> Is it possible to split LI elements from a single UL list, into two
> columns?
>
> This is my current Ul list:
> http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8278/ulsinglecolumnjl5.pn g
>
> And I want to look like this:
> http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4497/ultwocolumngx6.png
>
> I know I can make this happen using two UL lists, floating them to the
> same side, but I want to know if this can be done using a single list.
>

You can do it easily with what is probably, in its essentials, a table.
With two columns of course. Presumably, you do not want just 2 ULs for a
reason (you admit it does the presentational job, right?). So it must be
for a good semantic reason. That reason to me suggests table is the tool
for you.

--
dorayme

Report this message

#3: Re: Is it possible to split a UL list into two columns?

Posted on 2008-04-11 01:52:47 by lws4art

Cristian wrote:
> Hi!,
> Is it possible to split LI elements from a single UL list, into two
> columns?
>
> This is my current Ul list:
> http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8278/ulsinglecolumnjl5.pn g
>
> And I want to look like this:
> http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4497/ultwocolumngx6.png
>
> I know I can make this happen using two UL lists, floating them to the
> same side, but I want to know if this can be done using a single list.

No

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Report this message

#4: Re: Is it possible to split a UL list into two columns?

Posted on 2008-04-11 03:18:20 by cristian

On 10 abr, 17:14, dorayme <doraymeRidT...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In article
> <d0d9bdaa-f2ea-40a4-ba39-2e15fbee9...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Cristian <crisj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!,
> > Is it possible to split LI elements from a single UL list, into two
> > columns?
>
> > This is my current Ul list:
> >http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8278/ulsinglecolumnjl5.p ng
>
> > And I want to look like this:
> >http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4497/ultwocolumngx6.png
>
> > I know I can make this happen using two UL lists, floating them to the
> > same side, but I want to know if this can be done using a single list.
>
> You can do it easily with what is probably, in its essentials, a table.
> With two columns of course. Presumably, you do not want just 2 ULs for a
> reason (you admit it does the presentational job, right?). So it must be
> for a good semantic reason. That reason to me suggests table is the tool
> for you.
>
> --
> dorayme

Thank you very much, I think your solution will do the job.

Report this message

#5: Re: Is it possible to split a UL list into two columns?

Posted on 2008-04-11 10:05:09 by Toby A Inkster

Cristian wrote:

> I know I can make this happen using two UL lists, floating them to the
> same side, but I want to know if this can be done using a single list.

Yes, using the CSS3 multi-column module. It's supported in recent
versions of Firefox and Safari, but not yet in Opera (possibly v10) or
Internet Explorer.

Basic idea:

ul
{
columns: 2 12em; /* two columns, each 12em width */
column-gap: 1em; /* spacing between columns */
column-rule: 1px dashed silver; /* border between columns */
}

However, because support is still experimental, both Webkit and Gecko
require a little prefix to persuade them to support columns:

ul
{
columns: 2 12em; /* two columns, each 12em width */
column-gap: 1em; /* spacing between columns */
column-rule: 1px dashed silver; /* border between columns */
-moz-columns: 2 12em; /* for Gecko */
-moz-column-gap: 1em;
-moz-column-rule: 1px dashed silver;
-webkit-columns: 2 12em; /* for WebKit */
-webkit-column-gap: 1em;
-webkit-column-rule: 1px dashed silver;
}

For Opera and Internet Explorer, you could try this script which reads
CSS3 multi-col styles and rewrites them as floated DIVs:

http://www.csscripting.com/css-multi-column/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[Geek of HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python/Apache/Linux]
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 15 days, 19:04.]

Tagliatelle with Fennel and Asparagus
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/04/06/tagliatelle-fennel- asparagus/

Report this message

#6: Re: Is it possible to split a UL list into two columns?

Posted on 2008-04-11 11:39:51 by dorayme

In article <lmi3d5-ufg.ln1@ophelia.g5n.co.uk>,
Toby A Inkster <usenet200804@tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote:

> For Opera and Internet Explorer, you could try this script which reads
> CSS3 multi-col styles and rewrites them as floated DIVs:
>
> http://www.csscripting.com/css-multi-column/

To deliver to a large audience what he was reluctant to deliver in the
first place to an even larger one.

--
dorayme

Report this message

#7: Re: Is it possible to split a UL list into two columns?

Posted on 2008-04-11 14:51:20 by Bergamot

Toby A Inkster wrote:
>
> http://www.csscripting.com/css-multi-column/

It's hard to take seriously any site that uses the incredibly stupid rules:

body {
font-size: 62.5%; /* Resets 1em to 10px */ NO IT DOESN'T
}
#Content {
font-size: 1.45em;
}


They have no clue, AFAIC.

--
Berg

Report this message