Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

sqldatasource dal, wwwxxxenden, convert raid5 to raid 10 mdadm, apache force chunked, nrao wwwxxx, xxxxxdup, procmail change subject header, wwwXxx not20, Wwwxxx.doks sas, linux raid resync after reboot

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-22 19:12:16 by Victor

Is there a comprehensive resource that shows the USABILITY differences
between FrontPage and Expression?

What I like best about FrontPage is that it can be approached as a novice,
and as you learn more, it can be used as a very advanced tool.

Contrast that to Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005, which is much slower
than FrontPage and seems to only support ASP.NET (I am still using classical
ASP).

If Expressions is like VWD, I'll be disappointed.

Vic

Report this message

#2: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-22 20:06:55 by tom

http://www.rtbwizards.com/helpcenter/fpversusew.htm
--
Tom [Pepper] Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
"You're a daisy if you do!"
---
FrontPage Support:
http://www.frontpagemvps.com/
===
"Victor" <vic222@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23GplWvJpIHA.4620@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
: Is there a comprehensive resource that shows the USABILITY differences
: between FrontPage and Expression?
:
: What I like best about FrontPage is that it can be approached as a novice,
: and as you learn more, it can be used as a very advanced tool.
:
: Contrast that to Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005, which is much slower
: than FrontPage and seems to only support ASP.NET (I am still using
classical
: ASP).
:
: If Expressions is like VWD, I'll be disappointed.
:
: Vic
:
:

Report this message

#3: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-22 22:19:18 by Victor

Thanks for the page, Tom, but it leaves out some stuff I need to know:

Does Expressions require anything server-side, such as FrontPage extensions?

Does Expressions support WYSIWYG shared borders like FrontPage does? Because
that's one of the strongest reasons why I use FP.

"You're a daisy if you do!" Val Kilmer from Tombstone, right?

Vic




"Tom [Pepper] Willett" <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote in message
news:OqKWgNKpIHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> http://www.rtbwizards.com/helpcenter/fpversusew.htm
> --
> Tom [Pepper] Willett
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> "You're a daisy if you do!"
> ---
> FrontPage Support:
> http://www.frontpagemvps.com/
> ===
> "Victor" <vic222@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:%23GplWvJpIHA.4620@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> : Is there a comprehensive resource that shows the USABILITY differences
> : between FrontPage and Expression?
> :
> : What I like best about FrontPage is that it can be approached as a
> novice,
> : and as you learn more, it can be used as a very advanced tool.
> :
> : Contrast that to Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005, which is much
> slower
> : than FrontPage and seems to only support ASP.NET (I am still using
> classical
> : ASP).
> :
> : If Expressions is like VWD, I'll be disappointed.
> :
> : Vic
> :
> :
>
>

Report this message

#4: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-22 22:39:03 by tarowe

Even FP doesn't require the extensions to be installed on the server.

No shared borders, use Dynamic Web Templates or Includes.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
http://www.Ecom-Data.com
==============================================


"Victor" <vic222@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eags2XLpIHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the page, Tom, but it leaves out some stuff I need to know:
>
> Does Expressions require anything server-side, such as FrontPage extensions?
>
> Does Expressions support WYSIWYG shared borders like FrontPage does? Because that's one of the
> strongest reasons why I use FP.
>
> "You're a daisy if you do!" Val Kilmer from Tombstone, right?
>
> Vic
>
>
>
>
> "Tom [Pepper] Willett" <tom@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote in message
> news:OqKWgNKpIHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> http://www.rtbwizards.com/helpcenter/fpversusew.htm
>> --
>> Tom [Pepper] Willett
>> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>> "You're a daisy if you do!"
>> ---
>> FrontPage Support:
>> http://www.frontpagemvps.com/
>> ===
>> "Victor" <vic222@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23GplWvJpIHA.4620@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> : Is there a comprehensive resource that shows the USABILITY differences
>> : between FrontPage and Expression?
>> :
>> : What I like best about FrontPage is that it can be approached as a novice,
>> : and as you learn more, it can be used as a very advanced tool.
>> :
>> : Contrast that to Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005, which is much slower
>> : than FrontPage and seems to only support ASP.NET (I am still using
>> classical
>> : ASP).
>> :
>> : If Expressions is like VWD, I'll be disappointed.
>> :
>> : Vic
>> :
>> :
>>
>>
>
>

Report this message

#5: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-22 22:48:56 by Victor

"Thomas A. Rowe" <tarowe@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eKJ0pjLpIHA.1768@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Even FP doesn't require the extensions to be installed on the server.

Yeah, but you get improved functionality if you use the extentions.


>
> No shared borders, use Dynamic Web Templates or Includes.

Do they provide me with WYSIWIG editing with the borders?


> --
> ==============================================
> Thomas A. Rowe
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> http://www.Ecom-Data.com
> ==============================================
>
>
> "Victor" <vic222@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:eags2XLpIHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks for the page, Tom, but it leaves out some stuff I need to know:
>>
>> Does Expressions require anything server-side, such as FrontPage
>> extensions?
>>
>> Does Expressions support WYSIWYG shared borders like FrontPage does?
>> Because that's one of the strongest reasons why I use FP.
>>
>> "You're a daisy if you do!" Val Kilmer from Tombstone, right?
>>
>> Vic

Report this message

#6: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-22 22:52:16 by tarowe

Not really, as EW only support FP functions already in your pages when the page is open in EW, you
can not add new FP functions.

Suggest you post to the EW newsgroup for more detail info.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
http://www.Ecom-Data.com
==============================================


"Victor" <vic222@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eP14aoLpIHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> "Thomas A. Rowe" <tarowe@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eKJ0pjLpIHA.1768@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Even FP doesn't require the extensions to be installed on the server.
>
> Yeah, but you get improved functionality if you use the extentions.
>
>
>>
>> No shared borders, use Dynamic Web Templates or Includes.
>
> Do they provide me with WYSIWIG editing with the borders?
>
>
>> --
>> ==============================================
>> Thomas A. Rowe
>> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>> http://www.Ecom-Data.com
>> ==============================================
>>
>>
>> "Victor" <vic222@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eags2XLpIHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Thanks for the page, Tom, but it leaves out some stuff I need to know:
>>>
>>> Does Expressions require anything server-side, such as FrontPage extensions?
>>>
>>> Does Expressions support WYSIWYG shared borders like FrontPage does? Because that's one of the
>>> strongest reasons why I use FP.
>>>
>>> "You're a daisy if you do!" Val Kilmer from Tombstone, right?
>>>
>>> Vic
>
>

Report this message

#7: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-23 00:05:52 by Andy Asberry

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:52:16 -0400, "Thomas A. Rowe" <tarowe@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Not really, as EW only support FP functions already in your pages when the page is open in EW, you
>can not add new FP functions.
>
>Suggest you post to the EW newsgroup for more detail info.

Thomas, would you be kind enough to give me the newsgroup address? I'm
not having much luck finding it.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Report this message

#8: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-23 01:21:24 by Andrew Murray

The expression web gropu is microsoft.public.expression.webdesigner.

It is on the msnews.microsoft.com server, and you can easily access it
through Windows Mail (Vista) or Outlook Express (XP and earlier) or any
other mail/news reader like Firebird.

However, since this group is migrating to web interface (not the best way to
go in my opinion) there is a new web forum for this group as with the other
MS groups.

Can't think of what the address is at present.

"Andy Asberry" <aasberry@aol.com> wrote in message
news:e8os041c5cqnnm3pjmvli01qom6vfna38v@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:52:16 -0400, "Thomas A. Rowe" <tarowe@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Not really, as EW only support FP functions already in your pages when the
>>page is open in EW, you
>>can not add new FP functions.
>>
>>Suggest you post to the EW newsgroup for more detail info.
>
> Thomas, would you be kind enough to give me the newsgroup address? I'm
> not having much luck finding it.
>
> --Andy Asberry--
> ------Texas-----

Report this message

#9: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-23 01:54:16 by Joe Rohn

Hi Andy,

See if this works for you:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.expression.webd esigner

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP Expression Web

Expression Web Forums:
http://expression-frontpage.com/forums/

FrontPage and Expression Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/

"Andy Asberry" <aasberry@aol.com> wrote in message
news:e8os041c5cqnnm3pjmvli01qom6vfna38v@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:52:16 -0400, "Thomas A. Rowe" <tarowe@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Not really, as EW only support FP functions already in your pages when the
>>page is open in EW, you
>>can not add new FP functions.
>>
>>Suggest you post to the EW newsgroup for more detail info.
>
> Thomas, would you be kind enough to give me the newsgroup address? I'm
> not having much luck finding it.
>
> --Andy Asberry--
> ------Texas-----

Report this message

#10: Re: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-23 03:47:34 by webmaster

MS Live Mail reads nntp as well. I like it better than OE now.


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano
Microsoft MVP Expression






"Andrew Murray" <ad-ANTI-SPAM_murray@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
news:84A6FACE-713C-46C1-A46C-A9EDF54BD8A7@microsoft.com...
> The expression web gropu is microsoft.public.expression.webdesigner.
>
> It is on the msnews.microsoft.com server, and you can easily access it
> through Windows Mail (Vista) or Outlook Express (XP and earlier) or any
> other mail/news reader like Firebird.
>
> However, since this group is migrating to web interface (not the best way
> to go in my opinion) there is a new web forum for this group as with the
> other MS groups.
>
> Can't think of what the address is at present.
>
> "Andy Asberry" <aasberry@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:e8os041c5cqnnm3pjmvli01qom6vfna38v@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:52:16 -0400, "Thomas A. Rowe" <tarowe@mvps.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Not really, as EW only support FP functions already in your pages when
>>>the page is open in EW, you
>>>can not add new FP functions.
>>>
>>>Suggest you post to the EW newsgroup for more detail info.
>>
>> Thomas, would you be kind enough to give me the newsgroup address? I'm
>> not having much luck finding it.
>>
>> --Andy Asberry--
>> ------Texas-----
>

Report this message

#11: RE: FrontPage vs. Expression?

Posted on 2008-04-23 10:18:01 by AnnaUllrichMicrosoft

More resources on transitioning from FrontPage to Expression Web:

http://www.pixelmill.com/support/support_list.aspx?ParentLis tID=al1095

http://blogs.msdn.com/xweb/archive/2007/03/10/whitepaper-on- transitioning-to-microsoft-expression-web-from-microsoft-off ice-frontpage-2003.aspx

And you can get the Expression Web upgrade for only $99 if you own any
version of FrontPage, or office, or many other programs. You'll get version 2
for free when it comes out next month...details on the Expression website.

Anna
http://blogs.msdn.com/anna
http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/web/threads

"Victor" wrote:

> Is there a comprehensive resource that shows the USABILITY differences
> between FrontPage and Expression?
>
> What I like best about FrontPage is that it can be approached as a novice,
> and as you learn more, it can be used as a very advanced tool.
>
> Contrast that to Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005, which is much slower
> than FrontPage and seems to only support ASP.NET (I am still using classical
> ASP).
>
> If Expressions is like VWD, I'll be disappointed.
>
> Vic
>
>
>

Report this message