Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

dbf2mysql parameter, WWWXXXAPC, wwwxxxAPC, How to unsubscrube from dategen spam, docmd.close 2585, WWWXXXDOCO, nu vot, dhcpd lease file "binding state", WWWXXXDOCO, how to setup procmail to process html2text

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: Unable to access my own DB

Posted on 2008-04-09 19:21:23 by PGlenn

I work for a contractor to the US Department of State and
Department of Defense. I was going through google trying
to find the answer to a little Access problem I am having.
I am stuck in a rut. While attempting to secure a database I created
(or, more correctly am in the process of creating), in order to test
implementation, my password is correct, but Access is telling me
that
I don't have the appropriate permissions to access the database. I
am
the originator, and please feel free to contact me by e-mail to
verify this.
I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide as I am stuck
in
a rut that I DESPERATELY need to get out of.

Report this message

#2: Re: Unable to access my own DB

Posted on 2008-04-09 19:24:52 by Bob Alston

PGlenn@roncowash.com wrote:
> I work for a contractor to the US Department of State and
> Department of Defense. I was going through google trying
> to find the answer to a little Access problem I am having.
> I am stuck in a rut. While attempting to secure a database I created
> (or, more correctly am in the process of creating), in order to test
> implementation, my password is correct, but Access is telling me
> that
> I don't have the appropriate permissions to access the database. I
> am
> the originator, and please feel free to contact me by e-mail to
> verify this.
> I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide as I am stuck
> in
> a rut that I DESPERATELY need to get out of.
YOu might provide the EXACT wording of any error messages you are seeing.

Also try creating, updating and then deleting a text file in the same
directory as the database. You must have permissions to do this as you
must be able to create/update/delete the LDB file. If you can't do
this, you don't have the appropriate Windows permissions for the
directory where the database is located.

Note that Access security is fairly easily broken.

Bob

Report this message

#3: Re: Unable to access my own DB

Posted on 2008-04-09 19:41:25 by PGlenn

On Apr 9, 1:24=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> PGl...@roncowash.com wrote:
> > =A0I work for a contractor to the US Department of State and
> > =A0Department of =A0Defense. I was going through google trying
> > =A0to find the answer to a little Access problem I am having.
> > =A0I am stuck in a rut. While attempting to secure a database I created
> > =A0(or, more correctly am in the process of creating), in order to test
> > =A0implementation, my password is correct, but Access is telling me
> > that
> > =A0I don't have the appropriate permissions to access the database. I
> > am
> > =A0the originator, and please feel free to contact me by e-mail to
> > verify this.
> > =A0I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide as I am stuck
> > in
> > =A0a rut that I DESPERATELY need to get out of.
>
> YOu might provide the EXACT wording of any error messages you are seeing.
>
> Also try creating, updating and then deleting a text file in the same
> directory as the database. =A0You must have permissions to do this as you
> must be able to create/update/delete the LDB file. =A0If you can't do
> this, you don't have the appropriate Windows permissions for the
> directory where the database is located.
>
> Note that Access security is fairly easily broken.
>
> Bob

You do not have the necessary permissions to use the 'C:\Documents and
Settings\PGlenn\My Documents\ESF.mdb' object. Have your system
administrator or the person who created this object establish the
appropriate permissions for you.

I tried doing the text file, and I do have permissions. Thank you for
any help.

Report this message

#4: Re: Unable to access my own DB

Posted on 2008-04-09 20:50:55 by Bob Alston

PGlenn@roncowash.com wrote:
> On Apr 9, 1:24 pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> PGl...@roncowash.com wrote:
>>> I work for a contractor to the US Department of State and
>>> Department of Defense. I was going through google trying
>>> to find the answer to a little Access problem I am having.
>>> I am stuck in a rut. While attempting to secure a database I created
>>> (or, more correctly am in the process of creating), in order to test
>>> implementation, my password is correct, but Access is telling me
>>> that
>>> I don't have the appropriate permissions to access the database. I
>>> am
>>> the originator, and please feel free to contact me by e-mail to
>>> verify this.
>>> I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide as I am stuck
>>> in
>>> a rut that I DESPERATELY need to get out of.
>> YOu might provide the EXACT wording of any error messages you are seeing.
>>
>> Also try creating, updating and then deleting a text file in the same
>> directory as the database. You must have permissions to do this as you
>> must be able to create/update/delete the LDB file. If you can't do
>> this, you don't have the appropriate Windows permissions for the
>> directory where the database is located.
>>
>> Note that Access security is fairly easily broken.
>>
>> Bob
>
> You do not have the necessary permissions to use the 'C:\Documents and
> Settings\PGlenn\My Documents\ESF.mdb' object. Have your system
> administrator or the person who created this object establish the
> appropriate permissions for you.
>
> I tried doing the text file, and I do have permissions. Thank you for
> any help.
Read this thread about Access security

http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=924309

Report this message

#5: Re: Unable to access my own DB

Posted on 2008-04-09 21:42:47 by Larry Linson

I would suggest that you abandon this copy of your database and use the
unsecured copy that you retained as a backup, but, if you had done what was
only reasonable and kept a copy, you wouldn't be asking here, would you?

It is possible that you skipped a step, or inadvertently added one, or made
a keying mistake. I often caution that "missing one step, or doing it wrong,
may make your database so insecure that anyone can get it or so secure that
even you cannot get in". I trust you did download, carefully study, and
very carefully follow the steps in the Access Security FAQ -- if not, then
that would clearly be your next step. It is 39 single-spaced pages of dense
information, without any "filler".

It is possible, however, that what you are experiencing may be corruption,
not an error in security. You might try (though you may see a similar error
message) to open Access and compact and repair the database you are having
trouble with.

Have you tried opening the database from a user who is joined to the
standard System.MDW Workgroup File? The idea that a user should "join a
specific workgroup file" implies that one workgroup file may be used locally
for all or many databases, which is rarely the case, so it is better to use
a shortcut specifying the workgroup file, instead.

If all else fails, you will be able to search the Internet and find (and,
there is one, at least, that is completely free) applications to desecure a
database and/or to display all the user security information. "password
recovery" or "Access utilities" might be useful starts at search words. Once
you have found and used a good one, you'll wonder why anyone bothers to try
to use that approach to make a database secure. (It works nicely to keep
honest users from stumbling over their own keystrokes and ending up in some
area where they shouldn't, and don't want, to be.)

Because I never know, nor can I make the determination (even by contacting
someone by e-mail), whether a poster is, in fact, having trouble with their
own database or whether they are trying to break in to a database that
belongs to someone else, I do not post links to security cracks, though I
certainly acknowledge they exist.

I will refrain from further comment about what I would have expected to
happen to me, as a contractor, had I locked myself out of the only valid
copy of a database I was developing. Suffice it to say, I hope you are able
to work your way out of that situation, and wish you

Good luck with your dilemma...

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP




<PGlenn@roncowash.com> wrote in message
news:e478ff9c-27e0-4554-9c01-c76b29463b7f@x41g2000hsb.google groups.com...
On Apr 9, 1:24 pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> PGl...@roncowash.com wrote:
> > I work for a contractor to the US Department of State and
> > Department of Defense. I was going through google trying
> > to find the answer to a little Access problem I am having.
> > I am stuck in a rut. While attempting to secure a database I created
> > (or, more correctly am in the process of creating), in order to test
> > implementation, my password is correct, but Access is telling me
> > that
> > I don't have the appropriate permissions to access the database. I
> > am
> > the originator, and please feel free to contact me by e-mail to
> > verify this.
> > I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide as I am stuck
> > in
> > a rut that I DESPERATELY need to get out of.
>
> YOu might provide the EXACT wording of any error messages you are seeing.
>
> Also try creating, updating and then deleting a text file in the same
> directory as the database. You must have permissions to do this as you
> must be able to create/update/delete the LDB file. If you can't do
> this, you don't have the appropriate Windows permissions for the
> directory where the database is located.
>
> Note that Access security is fairly easily broken.
>
> Bob

You do not have the necessary permissions to use the 'C:\Documents and
Settings\PGlenn\My Documents\ESF.mdb' object. Have your system
administrator or the person who created this object establish the
appropriate permissions for you.

I tried doing the text file, and I do have permissions. Thank you for
any help.

Report this message