Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

WWWXXXAPC, docmd.close 2585, WWWXXXDOCO, nu vot, dhcpd lease file "binding state", WWWXXXDOCO, how to setup procmail to process html2text, how to setup procmail html2text, WWWXXXAPC., XXXCNZZZ

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: "persistent" RPMs

Posted on 2009-06-30 17:57:45 by Yuri Csapo

Does anybody know how to instal an RPM on a RH-derived system and make it persistent so that future
upgrades don't replace them?

--
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
CT-256
Phone: (303) 273-3503
Fax: (303) 273-3475
Email: ycsapo@mines.edu

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu
===========================================
With a PC, I always felt limited
by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
--Peter J. Schoenster
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Report this message

#2: Re: "persistent" RPMs

Posted on 2009-06-30 19:02:20 by Yuri Csapo

Gerardo, thank you for your reply.

I do appreciate the problems of holding something back. While I understand this situation is not
sustainable in the long term, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to hold back a particular package,
of course in the process holding back all its required and dependent packages, while letting other
parts of the system update as usual. Of course eventually we'll reach some shared library that will
end up locking up upgrades across the whole system but I can make a decision then.

The reason I ask the question is because, although I've been working with Linux since 1996 (and
other Unices before then), I've managed to stay away from RedHat until about a couple of months ago.
Now I'm having to learn "the RedHat way" of doing things. I may still be proven wrong but so far my
feeling is that, frankly, if I have to contend with proprietary poorly documented incantations and
nonexistent support and still pay for the privilege, I'd rather go to Windows Server. But I digress.

On Ubuntu, you can tell apt to simply 'hold' a package and it will just do that. Does anybody know
of anything similar on RedHat?

Thanks

Yuri


Gerardo Juarez-Mondragon wrote:
> In my opinion, there are two scenarios:
>
> (1) the RPM was made by you of an application you wrote yourself or is
> a third party RPM of a very specific application. In this case, being
> an application 'off the distribution tree', it will never be upgraded,
> except when you or the authors write such an upgrade.
>
> (2) the application is a regular application, registered as part of
> the Linux distribution. In this case the chances of it not being
> upgraded are slim, because most bulk upgrades will find it listed and
> act accordingly. Theoretically, you could manually upgrade parts of
> your distribution omitting this one package. However, it will
> eventually clash with some upgrade affecting a vital library. This
> could happen in case (1) above as well, except for the simplest
> applications, since most use shared libraries; you could get away for
> some time though, by keeping your application using static libraries.
> Again, this last only with scenario (1).
>
> The only way I have found of making software in this condition work is
> by not upgrading at all. This is the reason why you find some servers
> with an old distribution and they cannot be upgraded, unless they
> break free from the 'untouchable' software.
>
> Hope this is of use,
> Gerardo
>
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Yuri Csapo<ycsapo@mines.edu> wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to instal an RPM on a RH-derived system and make it
>> persistent so that future upgrades don't replace them?
>>
>> --
>> Yuri Csapo
>> Academic Computing & Networking
>> Colorado School of Mines
>> CT-256
>> Phone: (303) 273-3503
>> Fax: (303) 273-3475
>> Email: ycsapo@mines.edu
>>
>> Please use the following link to open a service request:
>> http://helpdesk.mines.edu
>> ===========================================
>> With a PC, I always felt limited
>> by the software available.
>> On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
>> --Peter J. Schoenster
>> --
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
>> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
>> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

--
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
CT-256
Phone: (303) 273-3503
Fax: (303) 273-3475
Email: ycsapo@mines.edu

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu
===========================================
With a PC, I always felt limited
by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
--Peter J. Schoenster
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Report this message

#3: Re: "persistent" RPMs

Posted on 2009-06-30 20:18:51 by adamb

Hi,

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:02:20 -0600, Yuri Csapo <ycsapo@mines.edu> wrote:
> On Ubuntu, you can tell apt to simply 'hold' a package and it will just
do
> that. Does anybody know
> of anything similar on RedHat?

If you are using yum to update the system, then you can add an "exclude"
directive to your /etc/yum.conf. See the man page for yum.conf.

Cheers

Adam
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Report this message

#4: Re: "persistent" RPMs

Posted on 2009-06-30 21:11:26 by Hauke Kreft

Hi,

> On Ubuntu, you can tell apt to simply 'hold' a package and it will just
> do that. Does anybody know of anything similar on RedHat?

there is a yum plugin for this purpose.

have a look:

Name : yum-versionlock
Arch : noarch
Version : 1.1.16
Release : 13.el5
Size : 15 k
Repo : rhel-i386-client-5
Summary : Yum plugin to lock specified packages from being updated
License : GPLv2+
Description: This plugin takes a set of name/versions for packages and
excludes all other versions of those packages (including optionally
following obsoletes). This allows you to protect packages from being
updated by newer versions, for example.

Best,
Hauke
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Report this message

#5: Re: "persistent" RPMs

Posted on 2009-07-01 19:08:09 by Yuri Csapo

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------080400070109080002070306
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Adam, thank you for this suggestion. It seems to do what I want and I'm going with it for now.

Yuri

Adam T. Bowen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:02:20 -0600, Yuri Csapo <ycsapo@mines.edu> wrote:
>> On Ubuntu, you can tell apt to simply 'hold' a package and it will just
> do
>> that. Does anybody know
>> of anything similar on RedHat?
>
> If you are using yum to update the system, then you can add an "exclude"
> directive to your /etc/yum.conf. See the man page for yum.conf.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

--
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
CT-256
Phone: (303) 273-3503
Fax: (303) 273-3475
Email: ycsapo@mines.edu

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu
===========================================
With a PC, I always felt limited
by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
--Peter J. Schoenster

--------------080400070109080002070306
Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8;
name="ycsapo.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="ycsapo.vcf"

YmVnaW46dmNhcmQNCmZuOll1cmkgQ3NhcG8NCm46Q3NhcG87WXVyaQ0Kb3Jn OkNvbG9yYWRv
IFNjaG9vbCBvZiBNaW5lcztDQ0lUDQplbWFpbDtpbnRlcm5ldDp5Y3NhcG9A bWluZXMuZWR1
DQp0aXRsZTpTeXN0ZW0gQWRtaW5pc3RyYXRvcg0KdGVsO3dvcms6KDMwMykg MjczLTM1MDMN
CngtbW96aWxsYS1odG1sOkZBTFNFDQp2ZXJzaW9uOjIuMQ0KZW5kOnZjYXJk DQoNCg==
--------------080400070109080002070306--
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Report this message

#6: Re: "persistent" RPMs

Posted on 2009-07-01 19:09:18 by Yuri Csapo

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070606010608030305090409
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hauke, thank you for the suggestion. I've decided to go with excludes in the conf file for now but I
might end up using this plugin in the future depending on what happens.

Yuri

Hauke Kreft wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On Ubuntu, you can tell apt to simply 'hold' a package and it will just
>> do that. Does anybody know of anything similar on RedHat?
>
> there is a yum plugin for this purpose.
>
> have a look:
>
> Name : yum-versionlock
> Arch : noarch
> Version : 1.1.16
> Release : 13.el5
> Size : 15 k
> Repo : rhel-i386-client-5
> Summary : Yum plugin to lock specified packages from being updated
> License : GPLv2+
> Description: This plugin takes a set of name/versions for packages and
> excludes all other versions of those packages (including optionally
> following obsoletes). This allows you to protect packages from being
> updated by newer versions, for example.
>
> Best,
> Hauke
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

--
Yuri Csapo
Academic Computing & Networking
Colorado School of Mines
CT-256
Phone: (303) 273-3503
Fax: (303) 273-3475
Email: ycsapo@mines.edu

Please use the following link to open a service request:
http://helpdesk.mines.edu
===========================================
With a PC, I always felt limited
by the software available.
On Unix, I am limited only by my knowledge.
--Peter J. Schoenster

--------------070606010608030305090409
Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8;
name="ycsapo.vcf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="ycsapo.vcf"

YmVnaW46dmNhcmQNCmZuOll1cmkgQ3NhcG8NCm46Q3NhcG87WXVyaQ0Kb3Jn OkNvbG9yYWRv
IFNjaG9vbCBvZiBNaW5lcztDQ0lUDQplbWFpbDtpbnRlcm5ldDp5Y3NhcG9A bWluZXMuZWR1
DQp0aXRsZTpTeXN0ZW0gQWRtaW5pc3RyYXRvcg0KdGVsO3dvcms6KDMwMykg MjczLTM1MDMN
CngtbW96aWxsYS1odG1sOkZBTFNFDQp2ZXJzaW9uOjIuMQ0KZW5kOnZjYXJk DQoNCg==
--------------070606010608030305090409--
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Report this message