Bookmarks

Yahoo Gmail Google Facebook Delicious Twitter Reddit Stumpleupon Myspace Digg

Search queries

docmd.close 2585, WWWXXXAPC, WWWXXXDOCO, nu vot, dhcpd lease file "binding state", WWWXXXDOCO, how to setup procmail to process html2text, how to setup procmail html2text, WWWXXXAPC., XXXCNZZZ

Links

XODOX
Impressum

#1: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-09 11:18:51 by Xu Peter

--001517511034289f290470b1f5c2
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi, everyone,

This is the first time I post my words on a mail list, so I would be
enlighted if it works ...

I am a newbie of perl. I have got through some classic perl books, such as
<Learning Perl> and <Intermediate Perl>, and I did some tiny works on perl,
e.g. a Tk helper that helps me with my vocabulary study, and a BBS search
engine works under TELNET(which is really poor ... ).

I really liked perl since it's really convenient in programming(not only the
syntaxs, but also CPAN, e.g. we can use IO::Socket to do network jobs rather
than system APIs), and I want to get deeper in learning perl. Does anyone
can give me some advice on HOW?

My rough idea is :
1. What I need now is more code reading, and maybe write a module of my own?
Is there any suggested modules to learn for a beginner?
2. Maybe I am not fully prepared, but I really want to anticipate in some
free software projects(or say, devote some of my time to the free software,
from where I got lots of help), but I don't know what to start.

Thanks for your suggestions, if possible ...

--001517511034289f290470b1f5c2--

Report this message

#2: RE: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-09 21:47:53 by David Christensen

Xu Peter wrote:
> I am a newbie of perl. I have got through some classic perl books,
> such as <Learning Perl> and <Intermediate Perl>, ...
> I want to get deeper in learning perl.

I learn Perl primarily though reading books and writing code. STFW,
RTFM, studying other people's code, participating in mailing lists and
news groups, etc., are also very helpful. I suggest that you get these
books next:

1. Perl Cookbook -- provides idiomatic Perl code and good explanations
for many common programming chores. It is organized by task, so you can
look things up and jump around as needed. I learn/ relearn something
useful every time I pick it up; it's the next best thing to a Perl
tutor. My Perl skills expanded dramatically once I bought this book.

2. Programming Perl -- *the* language reference book. It is organized
by topic; you can also jump around as needed. I eventually read the 2nd
edition cover-to-cover over a period of many months; Yowza! I reach for
this book whenever I need complete, in-depth information.


HTH,

David



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
http://learn.perl.org/

Report this message

#3: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-09 22:06:13 by orasnita

> Xu Peter wrote:
>> I am a newbie of perl. I have got through some classic perl books,
>> such as <Learning Perl> and <Intermediate Perl>, ...
>> I want to get deeper in learning perl.

You are probably interested in perl for some specific tasks, like creating
web apps, or desktop aps with a GUI, or other things. Most features offered
by perl are offered by the CPAN modules, and in order to be able to
recommend you what to learn, it would be good to know what you need to use
perl for.

For example, if you want to create modern web apps, learn how to use CGI
module just for knowing how it works, but don't need to go into details.
In this case, you better read the POD docs for Catalyst framework,
Template::Toolkit, DBIx::Class, Moose, DBI, HTML::FormFu and other modules
you may find useful when reading those docs.

If you want to do simple desktop apps for Windows, Win32::GUI docs may help
you, and if you want to do portable desktop apps, WxPerl would be the best
choice.

Other modules may help you if you need to do math, or biotechnology, or data
parsing, or other things...

Octavian


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
http://learn.perl.org/

Report this message

#4: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-10 05:07:54 by merlyn

>>>>> "Xu" == Xu Peter <xzpeter@gmail.com> writes:

Xu> I am a newbie of perl. I have got through some classic perl books, such as
Xu> <Learning Perl> and <Intermediate Perl>, and I did some tiny works on perl,
Xu> e.g. a Tk helper that helps me with my vocabulary study, and a BBS search
Xu> engine works under TELNET(which is really poor ... ).

Xu> I really liked perl since it's really convenient in programming(not only
Xu> the syntaxs, but also CPAN, e.g. we can use IO::Socket to do network jobs
Xu> rather than system APIs), and I want to get deeper in learning perl. Does
Xu> anyone can give me some advice on HOW?

I'd suggest reading all 255 of my magazine articles
at http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/columns.html.

--
Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
<merlyn@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
http://learn.perl.org/

Report this message

#5: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-10 08:20:25 by Shlomi Fish

On Sunday 09 August 2009 12:18:51 Xu Peter wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>
> This is the first time I post my words on a mail list, so I would be
> enlighted if it works ...
>
> I am a newbie of perl. I have got through some classic perl books, such as
> <Learning Perl> and <Intermediate Perl>, and I did some tiny works on perl,
> e.g. a Tk helper that helps me with my vocabulary study, and a BBS search
> engine works under TELNET(which is really poor ... ).
>
> I really liked perl since it's really convenient in programming(not only
> the syntaxs, but also CPAN, e.g. we can use IO::Socket to do network jobs
> rather than system APIs), and I want to get deeper in learning perl. Does
> anyone can give me some advice on HOW?
>
> My rough idea is :
> 1. What I need now is more code reading, and maybe write a module of my
> own? Is there any suggested modules to learn for a beginner?
> 2. Maybe I am not fully prepared, but I really want to anticipate in some
> free software projects(or say, devote some of my time to the free software,
> from where I got lots of help), but I don't know what to start.
>

I maintain a site with resources for Perl beginners here:

http://perl-begin.org/

You may wish to go over the pages for links and references. You can also see
my recommendations for Perl (and other non-fiction books) here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/books-recommends/

I see you want to read other people's code and write some of your own. If you
want, I have some Perl projects that may prove of interest to you and that I'd
love to get some help with:

1. http://github.com/bricas/cpanhq/tree/master

2. http://github.com/shlomif/catable/tree

3. http://web-cpan.berlios.de/ (and
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/web-cpan/ )

There are many other Perl projects out there that people could use help with.

Other than that, you may wish to read some of Ingy's code, which tends to be
very high-quality:

* http://search.cpan.org/~ingy/

(Although you should probably avoid using Spiffy for OOP.)

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

> Thanks for your suggestions, if possible ...

--
------------------------------------------------------------ -----
Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
"Star Trek: We, the Living Dead" -

God gave us two eyes and ten fingers so we will type five times as much as we
read.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
http://learn.perl.org/

Report this message

#6: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-10 18:42:49 by Ian

--000e0cd69740c0fbbb0470cc46eb
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Xu,

I'm a Mainframe Systems Programmer. Assembler and JCL is the only languages
I knew.

When I decided to learn perl, I looked for some application I need in my
daily routine,
bought Randal Schwartz's "Learning Perl" to get the basics down and just
started coding.

I ended up writing an application that collects statistics, put them in
MySQL and show me nice graphs.

When you have a goal, it is easier to learn to use the tools to achieve the
goal.
If this old mainframer can learn perl you will have no problem with it ;-)


Good luck
Ian

--000e0cd69740c0fbbb0470cc46eb--

Report this message

#7: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-11 16:22:46 by Xu Peter

--000e0cd486d8bf5c6b0470de6fa8
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

David, Octavian, Mr. Randal Schwartz, Shlomy & Lan

Thank all of you!:)

I really didn't expected to receive so many helps from all of you, that
really inspired me alot. And I was really stunned when I first saw Randal's
name appeared in my reply list... Maybe that's what mail-list is.

I think I'll always go to stonehenge to read the columns, since I found it
really another way to learn perl, and enjoy the reading.

I really want to take part in the programs Shlomy mentioned, but I don't
think I'm capable now, since I found that still don't know how to use "git".
Maybe I have to do more study before I get to know how to take part in it?

Anyway, I'll go on my study.
2009/8/11 Ian <pcs305@gmail.com>

> Xu,
>
> I'm a Mainframe Systems Programmer. Assembler and JCL is the only languages
> I knew.
>
> When I decided to learn perl, I looked for some application I need in my
> daily routine,
> bought Randal Schwartz's "Learning Perl" to get the basics down and just
> started coding.
>
> I ended up writing an application that collects statistics, put them in
> MySQL and show me nice graphs.
>
> When you have a goal, it is easier to learn to use the tools to achieve the
> goal.
> If this old mainframer can learn perl you will have no problem with it ;-)
>
>
> Good luck
> Ian
>

--000e0cd486d8bf5c6b0470de6fa8--

Report this message

#8: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-11 16:35:28 by chas.owens

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:22, Xu Peter<xzpeter@gmail.com> wrote:
snip
> I really want to take part in the programs Shlomy mentioned, but I don't
> think I'm capable now, since I found that still don't know how to use "git".
> Maybe I have to do more study before I get to know how to take part in it?
snip

For now all you need to know about git is:

* Create a local copy of repository:

git clone REPO_URL

For instance,

git clone git://github.com/shlomif/catable.git

If you get a GitHub account and fork catable, you can say

git clone git@github.com:YOUR_USERNAME/catable.git

you will then be able to push changes back to you GitHub repo.

* After changing a file in the local copy:

git add filename

* When you are done with modifications for a given feature/bug (all of
the files added with add will get committed):

git commit

* When you want to push changes back to a writable remote repo:

git push

* When you want to get changes from a writable remote repo

git pull


You may want to sign up for github.com. This will let you fork
projects like App::Catable. When you have your own fork you can push
your changes to it and then issue a pull request to other people who
have that project on GitHub.


--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net
The most important skill a programmer can have is the ability to read.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
http://learn.perl.org/

Report this message

#9: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-11 20:44:37 by Shlomi Fish

On Tuesday 11 August 2009 17:22:46 Xu Peter wrote:
> David, Octavian, Mr. Randal Schwartz, Shlomy & Lan
>
> Thank all of you!:)

You're welcome. Just note that it's "Shlomi" and "Ian" - not "Shlomy" and
"Lan".

>
> I really didn't expected to receive so many helps from all of you, that
> really inspired me alot. And I was really stunned when I first saw Randal's
> name appeared in my reply list... Maybe that's what mail-list is.
>
> I think I'll always go to stonehenge to read the columns, since I found it
> really another way to learn perl, and enjoy the reading.
>
> I really want to take part in the programs Shlomy mentioned, but I don't
> think I'm capable now, since I found that still don't know how to use
> "git". Maybe I have to do more study before I get to know how to take part
> in it?

Well, in addition to what Chas. Owens said about git, I should note that
http://web-cpan.berlios.de/ (which was one of the projects I mentioned) is
using Subversion instead of git, which may be easier for you to get into.

If you're not using version control yet, you should really start using it,
because developing code without it is not recommended. For more motivation
see:

* http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/lecture5/vers ion-control/

* http://better-scm.berlios.de/

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control

I wouldn't recommend using CVS anymore (and Microsoft Visual SourceSafe even
less than that), but I still find Subversion pretty decent, despite the fact
that I've been working quite a lot with git. You can find some references to
other modern version control systems on http://better-scm.berlios.de/ .
Subversion, git, Bazaar (bzr), Mercurial, Darcs, and Monotone are all open-
source and free, and they seem to be the most popular choices nowadays among
open-source developers.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

>
> Anyway, I'll go on my study.
> 2009/8/11 Ian <pcs305@gmail.com>
>
> > Xu,
> >
> > I'm a Mainframe Systems Programmer. Assembler and JCL is the only
> > languages I knew.
> >
> > When I decided to learn perl, I looked for some application I need in my
> > daily routine,
> > bought Randal Schwartz's "Learning Perl" to get the basics down and just
> > started coding.
> >
> > I ended up writing an application that collects statistics, put them in
> > MySQL and show me nice graphs.
> >
> > When you have a goal, it is easier to learn to use the tools to achieve
> > the goal.
> > If this old mainframer can learn perl you will have no problem with it
> > ;-)
> >
> >
> > Good luck
> > Ian

--
------------------------------------------------------------ -----
Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
Freecell Solver - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/

God gave us two eyes and ten fingers so we will type five times as much as we
read.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: beginners-unsubscribe@perl.org
For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@perl.org
http://learn.perl.org/

Report this message

#10: Re: Need some advice on learning perl

Posted on 2009-08-12 04:03:17 by Xu Peter

--000e0cd6a6f0f753640470e838da
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Shlomi,
Really sorry about the name!:(
I will not make the same mistake.

And thanks Shlomi & Chas, I think git is really popular now, and I think
I'll start with that now.

2009/8/12 Shlomi Fish <shlomif@iglu.org.il>

> On Tuesday 11 August 2009 17:22:46 Xu Peter wrote:
> > David, Octavian, Mr. Randal Schwartz, Shlomy & Lan
> >
> > Thank all of you!:)
>
> You're welcome. Just note that it's "Shlomi" and "Ian" - not "Shlomy" and
> "Lan".
>
> >
> > I really didn't expected to receive so many helps from all of you, that
> > really inspired me alot. And I was really stunned when I first saw
> Randal's
> > name appeared in my reply list... Maybe that's what mail-list is.
> >
> > I think I'll always go to stonehenge to read the columns, since I found
> it
> > really another way to learn perl, and enjoy the reading.
> >
> > I really want to take part in the programs Shlomy mentioned, but I don't
> > think I'm capable now, since I found that still don't know how to use
> > "git". Maybe I have to do more study before I get to know how to take
> part
> > in it?
>
> Well, in addition to what Chas. Owens said about git, I should note that
> http://web-cpan.berlios.de/ (which was one of the projects I mentioned) is
> using Subversion instead of git, which may be easier for you to get into.
>
> If you're not using version control yet, you should really start using it,
> because developing code without it is not recommended. For more motivation
> see:
>
> * http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/lecture5/vers ion-control/
>
> * http://better-scm.berlios.de/
>
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control
>
> I wouldn't recommend using CVS anymore (and Microsoft Visual SourceSafe
> even
> less than that), but I still find Subversion pretty decent, despite the
> fact
> that I've been working quite a lot with git. You can find some references
> to
> other modern version control systems on http://better-scm.berlios.de/ .
> Subversion, git, Bazaar (bzr), Mercurial, Darcs, and Monotone are all open-
> source and free, and they seem to be the most popular choices nowadays
> among
> open-source developers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shlomi Fish
>
> >
> > Anyway, I'll go on my study.
> > 2009/8/11 Ian <pcs305@gmail.com>
> >
> > > Xu,
> > >
> > > I'm a Mainframe Systems Programmer. Assembler and JCL is the only
> > > languages I knew.
> > >
> > > When I decided to learn perl, I looked for some application I need in
> my
> > > daily routine,
> > > bought Randal Schwartz's "Learning Perl" to get the basics down and
> just
> > > started coding.
> > >
> > > I ended up writing an application that collects statistics, put them in
> > > MySQL and show me nice graphs.
> > >
> > > When you have a goal, it is easier to learn to use the tools to achieve
> > > the goal.
> > > If this old mainframer can learn perl you will have no problem with it
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > >
> > > Good luck
> > > Ian
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------ -----
> Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
> Freecell Solver - http://fc-solve.berlios.de/
>
> God gave us two eyes and ten fingers so we will type five times as much as
> we
> read.
>

--000e0cd6a6f0f753640470e838da--

Report this message